Les verbes réguliers en -ER
In French, verbs which infinitive form ends in -ER (parler, aimer, habiter, étudier etc.) are REGULAR and belong to the “first conjugation” (“premier groupe“). Exception : the verb “aller” (to go), which belongs to the 3rd group.
Endings for the indicative present are : je : -e, tu : -es, il/elle/on : -e, nous : -ons, vous : -ez, ils/elles : -ent
Conjugation of the indicative present of the verb “parler” will be obtained by adding those endings to the stem parl-.
|PARLER (to speak)|
The only endings that are pronounced are -ons and -ez. Other endings are silent.
The stem of a few verbs may change in order to preserve the pronunciation. Those changes are not considered as real “irregularities”.
1) Extra letter added :
- With verbs like “appeler” (to call), “épeler” (to spell), “jeter” (to throw), the consonants “l” or “t” are doubled in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd persons of singular and 3rd person of plural, so the preceding “e” can be pronunced as “ay” (ऐ), which is easier.
- With verbs like “manger” (to eat), “changer” (to change), “voyager” (to travel), a “e” is added before the ending to the 1st person of plural to avoid the consonant “g” to be pronounced as /g/ (ग).
- With verbs like “commencer” (to start) or “placer” (to place), a cedilla is added to the consonant “c” for the 1st person of plural to avoid “c” to be pronounced as “k” (क).
|j’appelle||je mange||je commence|
|tu appelles||tu manges||tu commences|
|il/elle/on appelle||il/elle/on mange||il/elle/on commence|
|nous appelons||nous mangeons||nous commençons|
|vous appelez||vous mangez||vous commencez|
|ils/elles appellent||ils/elles mangent||ils/elles commencent|
2) “é” changed to “è” :
- With verbs like “préférer” (to prefer), “répéter” (to repeat) or “espérer” (to hope), the “é” in the last syllable of the stem changes to “è” for all persons excepted “vous” and “nous”.
3) “e” changed to “è” :
- With verbs like “acheter” (to buy), “amener” (to bring somebody), “emmener” (to take somebody) or “lever” (to raise), the “e” in the last syllable of the stem changes to “è” for all persons excepted “vous” and “nous”.
4) “y” changed to “i”
- Verbs like “payer” (to pay) or “essayer” (to try) follow 2 patterns : a normal pattern (pay- + endings) and a pattern with modification of the stem in pai- for all the persons excepted “nous” and “vous”.
- With verbs like “appuyer” (to press) or “employer” (to use, to employ), the vowel “y” is replaced by “i” for all persons excepted “nous” and “vous”.
|tu payes/paies||tu appuies|
|il/elle/on paye/paie||il/elle/on appuie|
|nous payons||nous appuyons|
|vous payez||vous appuyez|
|ils/elles payent/paient||ils/elles appuient|
Pour plus d’information :
- http://www.laits.utexas.edu/tex/gr/ver1.html (regular verbs in -er without stem changes)
- http://www.laits.utexas.edu/tex/gr/ver2.html (regular verbs in -er with stem changes)
- Select the appropriate form of the verb.
- Select the appropriate personal pronoun.
- Fill up the blanks with the appropriate endings.